Growth and Excellence: Economics at BU
The Boston University Department of Economics offers graduate students a world-class training for careers in academia or industry. Our faculty are prolific researchers and dedicated teachers, our culture is collaborative, and our Boston location and lively seminar schedule link students to both new ideas and future colleagues and collaborators. Our graduate students also benefit from our faculty’s breadth of expertisein a wide range of sub-fields.
- The BU Economics Department ranks 11th among US departments by Repec (Research Papers in Economics), which is based on publications and citations.
- BU faculty members are current editors or co-editors at Econometrica, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Labor Economics and other prestigious journals.
- Our faculty is dynamic and growing. We have hired 20 tenured and tenure-track faculty over the last 10 years, including three this year.
- Our recent PhD graduates have earned coveted posts in academia and industry, including (in the past three years) Brown University, Tilburg University, University of Warwick, Harvard Medical School, the Federal Reserve Bank, and Amazon.
- Unlike most economics departments, BU Economics is grouped with departments in the mathematical and computational sciences division rather than the social sciences division or the business school. Reflecting the cutting edge of economic research, this grouping increases the potential for cross-disciplinary research and faculty hires.